Monday, September 24, 2012

2012 Ironman 70.3 World Championships




Here comes the race report of my most anticipated race of the season. Little background in qualification for this Championship race. It is long for sure.
In September of 2011, I raced Ironman 70.3 Branson, M 40-44 age group, placing 5th and earning a slot in a rolldown process.
Branson is a tough race with the bike course unrivaled on the Ironman 70.3 circuit. The run is what separates these two venues, Vegas being hilly, though not extreme at all in terms of topography but desert heat, combined with blacktop asphalt, makes for a very difficult run. My thought process was, if you can do Branson, you can do Vegas. Little did I know, but more on this further down.
Few words about the goals for this wonderful race. Some of us are very goal driven, I am in that camp. I did struggle to define goals for this race as it was my first time racing at this level. I entered it with very loose and fuzzy understanding as to what I wanted to do here. First, I wanted to execute well. Race day is all about execution, many of us frequently fail at that, I am no different. Defining the placement goal, for me, largely went, placing mid pack in my M40-44 would be success. The numbers/ metrics for pacing and racing are a little different matter and serve us as tool in achieving the goals defined above. Executing a Long Course race is all about discipline and managing the current moment, managing what you have control over.
My Coach did provide the plan to execute. It was me who had to believe in it and carry it out. Predicting times on a race course in triathlon is a dicey proposition, but some loose estimating is required to understand TSS or stress induced during each as well as creating the overall  fueling/ hydration strategy. Anticipated numbers were:
FTP estimate 265-270W      VDOT 51     weight 155lbs
Swim: 31-33min, non wetsuit, I do not wear any speedsuits either
Bike: goal NP 227W, not sure on IF, however, this was 5-7% higher than all my Half Ironman races this year , I also added the HR range of 145-150, mid to top of Z3 for me
Run: early pace of 7:40, mi 1-3, than take it up to 7:30-7:20 pace, HR 152-158 early than into 160+ range, obviously HR dictates a lot on hilly and hot courses and becomes the lead metric. The pace metric was intended for a flat course with moderate weather and it was up to me to adjust for desert heat and hills.
                                     Friday 09/07/2012 Bike gear check in, T1 Lake Las Vegas

Sunday morning 09/09/2012, wake up came at 0320 local time, usual morning routine, feeling very good, however noticing that my legs/quads felt heavy/ sluggish. Thought to myself, oh well, I will shake it off as I am setting up my T1 and waiting for the swim wave.
Pre race breakfast:
* cup of coffee
* 1 Honey Stinger waffle 160cal
* 1 serving of Oatmeal     200cal
* 1 small banana              150cal
* 1 small bagel+ Apricot spread   250cal
* 1 small block of dark organic chocolate, 70% coco    100cal
* Dose of calcium supplement as well as 2 salt tabs with water

I packed a bottle of 300cal Infinit, gels, salt tabs and water to maintain hydartion+ calorie intake during pre race time, while waiting for my wave to start.
From above, it is noticeable, absence of any protein sources. Over the last 5 years, I have been refining my pre race breakfast in terms of amount and content. My stomach is more sensitive than most and I have found that any amount protein causes pre race GI distress. I tend to stick with simple to complex carbs for the most part, trying to allow for fast release type as well as slow release, minimum to no fiber and closely watching the volume of food intake. Latest nutrition reports coming from experts at PBN (Personal Best Nutrition, consultants to many PRO athletes, including 2012 Ironman Texas and Ironman New York winner Jordan Rapp) indicate the importance of the ratio of calories vs. volume of the intake as a factor to consider. It is a very personal experiment to find that proper ratio where food volume in GI tract is not causing bloating and other discomfort, yet calorie needs are met.
Exited condo on the strip at 0440 local time for a 30min ride to Lake Las Vegas. It always brakes my heart to wake up my kids and wife this early. They are my loyal support crowd, the crowd from which I draw all my motivation to keep going. This time around, I can admit freely, at the crucial moment in this race, it was them that brought me up.
                           My love, my best friend, my training partner, my inspiration, my voice of reason
                                                      My little tough crowd, joy and pride
This time, I was accompanied by my friend and training partner Bently who calmly drove our way into Lake Las Vegas. First glance at the backed up traffic was no cause for concern, than lack of movement of this endless river of cars was enough to wake my type A personality up, did not take very long. As the approach to parking lot dragged out, we agreed that Benlty and I would have to exit the car to run down to T1 before it closed. Sladja would drive the van. What a way to start your race morning. It did not shake me up, I was surprisingly calm about it, on alert though.
T1 set up went very smooth and quick. Athletes were crawling all over T1, usual business. My set up was calm, deliberate and collected. Maintaining the routine is critical. I was quickly in and out, ready to enjoy the scenery. Found a spot in shade, away from the crowd, close to bike mount line. What a learning experience that was, watching PROs mount. All sorts of stuff, great and not so great.
It was time to stroll down to the start. I hugged and kissed my wife and kids. Always love doing that before my race. Marko even let me do that, he was looking around making sure no teenage girls were watching the scene. :)

Race day weather came out as a very hot day. Temperatures reported in the shade were upwards of 95-97F, widespread recorded temps on asphalt were reaching 102-105F. Winds were from the East at 6-8mph. Water temperature 83-85F. Pretty extreme for my taste. I was uneasy about it. I feared that it would take an incredible amount of suffering. The day will prove me correct.



SWIM:     33:34, 97th AG, 696 OA,      GC file:    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220979576
Positioned to the right, next to buoys, clean shot, love figuring that out. Good start, solid effort first 500m than long stroke/ cruise mode, effort down. Found feet, hung on and dialed further back. Key here, for me was not how fast I can swim this, it was how can I keep my body core temp low and not incur too much time deficit. I was at a very low end of the effort scale, conserving, knowing that there is a very hot day ahead. Rest of the swim was uneventful. The lake was awful, muddy, brown.......hard comparing after Racine and Lake Michigan.


                                                        Swim exit and a long run up to T1

T1:          4:06
Long run around to T1, very routine, decently fast and smooth. Another long run out with the bike. Flying mount and off I was gone.



Bike:     2:55:49, no idea on ranking of the split but at the end it got me into 126th AG, 853 OA
             GC file, powermeter went dead soon at about mi 8-10:  
             http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220981670
             Powermeter shows numerous drop outs, all indication of the failure as I do not coast unless I spin out. So data unusable.
            Hydartion/ fueling summary:
            Infinit 300cal/hr, 1800mg sodium/hr, 24oz fluid/ hr
            The climb out of T1 started as usual, high HR from the swim, felt good and was producing the planned power, no issues. Turn on Lake Mead Pkwy was downhill and used to recover the Heart Rate (HR), soft pedal, brought power down to goal level, another climb after turnaround and now HR was going higher very easy, knew that was not good, power still in check but RPE was beginning to tell that it is true that this effort is costing more. Started hydration/ calories. The rock around was radiating heat no doubt, temps indicated over 90 early on the bike.

                         Unreal scenery and the world of hurt, alone battling myself, deep in my memory
                                               What makes you tick when things get tough?

Powermeter was gone early, no drama, reverted to observing HR only and was very good at ignoring it. I knew it was very high 152-155, during climbs touching 158-160, I was well on the way of blowing up. It is amazing how you find various excuses to ignore your STUPIDOMETER, it was telling me I was stupid but I thought, it is a championship race, time to throw numbers out and race your heart. I could have not been wrong more. Passed mid point mile 28 and further to mi 40, passed numerous M40-44 athletes to know I was in deep trouble climbing back on Lake Mead Pkwy toward Lake Las Vegas, both of my quads were locking up. I thought nice, have not had this in long time, being a veteran of cramping from 2010, it was a great reminder that you also have to be tough, grit your teeth and suffer quietly so nobody can see. Mentally, I was in a world of hurt. The feeling of heavy legs never went away, I just pushed and pushed, the dull pain was now constant, twitching of hamstrings and quads was moderate. I was taking additional salt tabs but it was not enough. Strategic mistake was made in the amount of fluid required. I was thirsty most of the time, never had to pee, very salty residue on my suit, all signs of a person in serious distress under relentless heat.
Completely underestimated the dry hot desert.

I was now in a full blown survival mode, being dropped left and right by male and female cyclist, great feeling, not so. Looking down, observing average speed dropping and dropping. At this point I was no longer sure that I can continue past T2, several times thought about turning my chip in at T2. One thing was clear, early to mid point distress revealed my huge mental weakness and a lack of readiness to fight it. I was in shock how early I crumbled. Took a while to grasp that.
My Edge was showing 102F above asphalt coming into T2, yep same place where I was about to run a half marathon.

                                                          Did I mention that it was hot!

T2:       1:50     It felt like eternity, I really did not want to leave the tent, wanted to lay down, felt weak

Run:      2:02:46    118th AG, 849th OA    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220979583

I was out on the course in disbelief. I was certain that there was no way I will ever finish this. My body felt pain everywhere, neck, shoulders......general weakness as if you are ill, I was running, do not know how, but I was.  I come to learn about piecing the course, so I thought next aid station.
Henderson run course consists in general terms, 2mi uphill, 2mi downhill, unprotected, no shade, blacktop asphalt.

                           I was about to find out how far am I willing to go when mind says enough, when quads  
                               are seizing up and relentless heat is overwhelming, how deep will I have to dig  
Mile 1 came and the first aid station, I began to walk, take calories, water, salt tabs, ok, time to run uphill. Forced myself to run uphill, it was tolerable for the moment, many around me were already walking, struggling. I knew I was not alone. I was tunnel-visioned and looked only few feet ahead, managing movement in the current moment. I really had no idea where is the movement of my legs coming from, I was seizing up not long ago. I was present enough that I knew I had to drink and take calories, never lost focus there. It was a matter of survival. I now developed a routine walking every aid station and taking all the ice, liquids, calories from my flask. Closed the first loop, about 4mi and was now in some strange world of only hearing noises around me. Heat was unbearable. Than saw Sladja, Marko and Nina. I remember hearing Marko yell "GO ALEKS" and Sladja looked at me straight in the eyes, she was saying something.....The look was the moment that I will not forget, it instantly brought me back, I woke up, looked down the road, it was time to work. No, the pace did not change much, I was not looking at my watch, just ran, climbing back up, loop 2, I started bringing back some runners, one of them was last year's Branson M40-44 winner.

                                     Critical moment during the run, mi 8, I managed to pull away from
                                     an athlete, winner of M40-44 at 2011 IM 70.3 Branson, race where I
                                     lost to him, but managed to qualify for this suffer fest
                                                       
 Yes, I caught up with him, I thought wow, I am not the only one falling apart in this heat. Said hi to him, he looked at me, told him how I knew who he was, we instantly became friends, I dragged him up the hill, talked to him and helped him get through his "rough patch", I was a little worried as his breathing was out of control. I kept him company for 3/4 of the loop and kept us both running, no walking. I was feeling better and more capable of running faster or at least I thought, so I made sure he was ok and wished him luck, picked it up and left. I was now running decent given that it has been over 5hrs in that heat.
Final mile came, I do not know how, all is a big blur, I just remember now wanting that finishers shirt. I thought for the first time that I have earned it. Ran down final mile at 7:05 pace, where that came from, no idea. Through the chute and it was over........DUN!!!!!!!!!!! I was at piece.




I will never be able to express enough gratitude to my wife and kids who have spent numerous Saturdays and Sundays, eating breakfast without me while I was training. I do not know how many evenings have I fallen asleep exhausted without saying good night. No social life so to speak, no time for friends and movies and anything that normal people do. It is a heavy price to pay. I am also one of those fortunate whose spouse gives unconditional approval in this quest and pursuit of athletic achievement. After all it defines who I am.
Thank you my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment