Final race of the season is always exciting. Sometimes we are glad to see the closing of one chapter, other times we want to see a successful chapter lasting longer, riding that high just for a bit longer. Even though I am excited to close 2012 season it is neither a success nor disappointment. Another plateau-ish year at best.
Redman Triathlon is a wonderful race, so well put together and conducted that makes most athletes must do list. Oklahoma City bursts with hospitality and that is what makes this race special. It is not the scenery, it is not the worst road conditions that you will ever encounter in a race, it is the tireless work of volunteers, community and City officials that want this race in their town. This year was no exception.
I was here in 2009, racing the same race as M35-39. It was my third half ironman distance race that ended with success 4:39:25, 6th AG, 28th OA. This time, I truly missed the presence of my two friends Aaron and Rocky, who made for a great company that year.
My usual, loyal crowd was with me once again, making the last early wake up of 2012. They were glad for the season to be over. Nina was excited, no more 4am wake ups.
It has only been two weeks since the 70.3 Championship race. I am not fully recovered. Workouts in peak week confirm that. While I had no trouble putting out the power and pace, any length of race effort made me tired quickly. I opted for a short swim AM, short bike+run brick/ mini race simulation every other day, with a day of complete rest in between. I wanted to stimulate the system with short race efforts, but also take extra rest along during the race week. It was a good balance. Felt very good.
No goals for this race. Just some form metrics estimates+ power/pace/HR numbers:
1. Swim, full suit, pace 1:35/100m, good for 30min 1.2mi swim, realistic as I have put this out so many times
with ease
2. Bike FTP estimate 265W, on the downslope from Vegas, NP 220-225W, IF .85, TSS 172 based on
time
3. Run VDOT 51 and declining, rough goal pace 7:30-7:20min/mi, times 1:37:00-1:35:00
I was going with whatever the day gave, no goals, just good time and delaying the agony for as long as I could. I was not ready to suffer again.
Course:
Swim: low water level version, counter clockwise triangle, miss-measured and made longer by about 160-180m, murky water in the middle of lake. Water temp 71F.
T1/T2: long run from middle of lake up the dry bed, wetsuit strippers
Bike: flat to wavy course, cannot even call it rolling, deceptive though as I recorded just over 1600ft of climbing, still flat but appears more climbing than Racine and Soma, I was looking for faster times, but that may explain, still very fast course with terrible roads, rough and littered with potholes big enough to swallow entire bike.
Run: Two loops along the lake, flat as pancake, as flat as you will ever see during the race. We can call it Lala flat, my Coach will appreciate this.
Weather: race start 61F, wind ESE@5-7mph, race end 85F, wind NNE@12-15mph
Up at 0400. Usual pre race breakfast, no oatmeal this time, no microwave. No salt preloading in the days before, took my 2 salt tabs+calcium with the meal, hydrated well and coffee. I had no sleep overnight. No explanation, however it is not the first time I am racing after no sleep. The night before was solid rest and sleep, I was not worried.
Arrived to T1/2 on time, calm and collected, set up all my gear. After all, this is my half ironman number 11 and number 4 this year alone. The routine is down, no distractions.
Race result: 4:42:09, 7th M40-44, 27th OA
Pre swim nutrition: 1 honey stinger gel, 2 salt tabs chased with water
Swim: 33:27 910XT data shows avg pace calculated 1:33/100m, corrected to 1.2mi comes to 29:30
my typical wetsuit swim, this was way longer....
GC file: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/225892521
Positioned well again, shortest line, clean water, good start. As always, no different this time. I rode on feet almost all the way but last 600m as the swimmer ahead was beginning to wonder around. I held the effort here pretty steady, Z3, breathing rate in check. There was no contact along the way. Very nice and measured swim. Looked at the time across the mat, shrugged my shoulders and went on. I was not worried, no time to chase.
T1: 2:06 one of the better and faster times in AG
Used strippers, long run up to bike racks. Smooth and collected.
Bike: 2:26:30, AP/NP 218W/222W, 3.15 W/kg, IF .84, TSS 177, avg HR 152, avg cad 96
GC File: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/226785549
Started the ride with a solid flying mount, shortly after, feet inside shoes and I was turning pedals, look down at my STUPIDOMETER- Garmin 500 with Quarq power, said I was spot on was not being stupid at the moment, 215W and gradually rising with HR being relatively high, 168, normal coming off the swim. I was producing power in cooler weather and had to hold back not to overshoot. Also first 20-30min of restraint goes long ways in allowing the body and HR to settle. I was executing now with focus and discipline. 15min into it began to drink, HR check, was coming down, 20min power check was at 220W NP and feeling very good with no focus required to produce output, but rather to hold back. Tailwind was evident as avg speed was going over 24mph. Several athletes went by in a train, yep, blatant drafting, but no worries, I do not cave in. It is way early to race it. I usually get them back in the last quarter of the bike as fading sets in. Those that have done this enough know that major placing climb usually occurs in the last 14mi of the bike course, as wisdom prevails. I was drinking on schedule and using my usual doses of 300cal/hr however dialed back the sodium levels 1360mg/hr, 1-1.5 bottles of fluid/hr.
HR was higher than I wanted to see, but I felt in check. After 30min NP was at 225W and I intended to keep it there as it felt good. I kept even NP entire time 225W, HR had downslope trend but remained at the bottom of Z4 for me most of the race. RPE was correct. Again, cooler weather, flat run course, allows for wider range of effort levels. The ride consisted of dodging huge potholes, kept me busy but could not keep my head low enough and it was straining my neck. I ride with 15cm drop in front and my head loves being low and eyes down just ahead of my front wheel, my neck relaxes like that. At one point, hitting a rough patch on the road, I lost a water bottle from my hand while drinking, yep, that rough, shook me a bit and woke me up.
Half way, clock indicated a sub 2:24 ride, but winds were no longer a friend. Same power was now producing 22.3-22.4mph and I was not going to push over. I brought back two riders from the train by mi 50. I knew I was close to the front, no excitement, controlling emotions. After all, I was not sure how far will I go before Las Vegas fatigue would catch up. Last 6mi were all about relaxing, stretching and spinning at a lower effort. After return for final 3mi around the lake, I got caught by two riders, dropped to legal distance and kept their pace, allowed power and HR to drop significantly. Entire ride NP drop occurred in that section from NP 225W to NP 222W, HR was 138 and going lower. I did like that as I was preparing to run. Flying dismount went routine, I was running with the bike to the rack.
T2: :49 one of the faster times, Sladja still does not know, she would have been proud. In the past I caught a lot of flack over that. I also caught her by surprise being back, I never disclose bike times to her, if I miss it, makes them worry, don't want to do that.
Run: 1:39:19 avg HR 161 GC file: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/225892534
hydration/ fuel: flask total 360cal, taken at mi 2, mi 6 and mi 9
sodium: total 2490mg, taken at same intervals as above
coke: miles 10 and 11
hydration: water at every other aid station
Quick glance at my 910XT exiting T2 showed 3:01:xx for the total elapsed time, math said 1:37 run was required for a PR, about 7:27min/mi, I thought not bad let's see what I can do. No stress once again, just a mental note. I decided to skip the usual strategy of miles 1-3 of somewhat easier pace. I parked it at 7:24min/mi or so and wanted to see how it feels. Self check, felt ok, very easy and doable, HR was into 148-152, I thought, this feels "easy enough", let's see how far will it take me. I got nothing to lose. PR would have been nice, but was not going to happen at all cost, plus it was way early into the run and likely to cause blowing a lid. I had a nice quick stride, toeing off was effortless, was looking around and enjoying. the scenery. I was in "no man's land", the lead group was ahead and untouchable for me, some 40-44 athletes were in it, including the winner to be Dave Slavinski from NJ. He was flying on that run. Miles 1-5 were uneventful, had a look at overall and AG placing and was happy, counting 6th with nobody in reach, I sure was looking for excuses not having to push. Behind nobody too. First loop was topped off seeing the Rock Star Coach Ken Welsh, he was looking strong, we cheered each other passing by, than saw my friend and athlete I coach, Brandon Simpson, also known as Swimson. That dude can swim. Was known for his famous Kansas State 100 Backstroke record. He looked calm and in the zone, despite not having an easy day. His swim split was 6th overall at the race. Cheered each other too and went on. It is always great seeing people you know.
Turnaround came, 6.55mi, Nina was running next to me for a brief period. She was cheering me on, was great having my little girl shouting for me. At this point, I was working now. HR file shows rather abrupt and steep climb in HR. First, heat was rising now, wind was picking up too. It was by no means Vegas hot, it was warm, 84F, I don't dare calling hot anymore after being in desert 2 weeks ago.
I was no longer smooth and had to focus to turn my legs. HR was going into 164-166, my zone Z4-5a, I always know that sand clock begins to tick when I see that, implosion is not that distant anymore and I have to watch. All the fueling was on schedule, I was now pouring water on myself at every aid station.
At mi 9, wheels began to come off, I did hold the HR, but pace was slipping, mi 10 huge hamstring cramp brought me to a squeal and halt, had to stretch, kept walking and limping until it let go, went running as soon as I could, pace was slipping to 8:05, HR was over in Z5a 166-169 and I was giving all I had to move. I knew my PR dream was over, I was at piece with it. Got passed in the last mi by an athlete from M40-44 and I had nothing more to put up fight. Zipped up my MTC jersey and got ready for the chute.
Sladja and Nina were there, big hugs and kisses, huge relief and immediate deflating. Season was over.
In summary, very decently executed race, swim/bike perfect, run could have been more restrained early but have no regrets at all. I was shooting from the hip with no surgical precision. Key being, bike pacing was one of the best I had,, that produced an ok run. Piled up fatigue and lack of adequate endurance are key in slowing this run down.
Time to sit down reflect back, examine logs, document good, bad and ugly, learn from it and go forward. It is time I break the plateau.








No comments:
Post a Comment