Lake Coeur d'Alene view from the CDA Lake shore Drive
It is absolutely amazing what human mind and body can do. On 06/28/2015 in Coeur d'Lene, 1331 athletes have risen to the challenge that Mother Nature brought. It was an unusual, very hot day. The official temperature in the shade recorded was 105F. Temperatures measured over black top asphalt on the bike and run course peaked at 109-112F. Not your ideal temp for running a marathon.
I have finally produced a breakthrough performance that I have been looking for since 2010. I came to race my heart out, stay strong and long shot would be KQ. I knew I would be on the bubble and needed really one flawless day. KQ would come up often in conversation. I really shied away from talking too much and would downplay it. I really needed a solid race and would be happy on the day with anything due to weather conditions.
Preparation Notes
Last year's, 2014 race showed a glimpse of potential however I fell short in performance. I ended sustaining two injuries leading to the race and another after the race, so it really stopped me in the tracks. The years of neglecting my body finally took the toll. I have undergone the process of reconstruction by PT that included range of motion and strength work with hips and gluteus. I have been issued custom orthotics and QT2 Systems program had me in the gym all of the training blocks. I started from scratch in August of 2014.
The key changes arrived through advice of my wife Sladja, who herself had been with QT2 Systems for the last three marathons. Focus on recovery techniques, regain of mental strength and liberating myself from chasing numbers during workouts were some of the key points she made. I listened. I knew she was correct and that going forward I would really have to start changing my ways. I learned a lot from her through our many morning coffee chats. For that, I am eternally grateful. She offered me the good old effort based approach to training and I happily took it.
The summary of changes:
1. Understanding and support of my wife, kids, friends, coworkers and bosses had been key this time around. I enjoyed tremendous amount of encouragement by my wife who not just provided the kind words but also took enormous load on herself in driving the household while I was training.
2. I chose QT2 Systems to guide me through the prep. It is a very traditional Ironman based training that suits me well.
3. I stopped obsessing with training metrics and focused on one workout at a time, making it the best possible.
4. I became very good at making recovery workouts truly guilt provoking easy.
5. I fueled before, during and after each workout during the entire Build and Peak phases.
6. I stretched and rolled every morning, frequently several times per day.
7. My sleep has been very regular, 7-8hrs per night, critical for my recovery. This is no empty statement here.
The Race Week
Bike ready for check in
Kin tearing down some crepes.
This was a family vacation as much as my race week period. I truly missed the presence of my pride and joy, my son Marko, who is chasing his swimming dream. As much as I missed him, I also fully understood the meaning of commitment to sport he made and dream he had . I was filled with joy knowing he was out there tearing down the boundaries as much I was doing it. I had Nina and Sladja along, my endless inspiration. I also had my very close friends, Kin and Kristi Lam with their family. I was extremely humbled when they expressed desire to be there and witness the race. I consider myself fortunate having such a great company. We left behind in KC one huge crowd of our friends who tirelessly cheered all season and were awaiting the most important day.
Training, resting, fueling and recovering were going as planned. There was a significant difference in my mental state. I had no jitters, no doubts, I never questioned, I only believed that this is my race and even my weather. Yes, I wanted to own that 105F course.
I consulted with my friend Bently on couple of occasions and exchanged thoughts on how I was going to change my approach to racing in extreme heat. We are a great team and bounce thoughts and ideas between. These are the changes made:
1. Swim in sleeveless Desoto suit that I borrowed from him. Water was 74F, going into a very hot day. I sacrificed a bit time for additional cooling. Body core temp control was key.
2. Respect HR metrics late in the bike, when extreme heat was going to become a factor.
3. Stay ahead with nutrition, specifically fluid/ electrolyte intake.
4. Adjust and slow down the opening pace on the run and allow HR to rise and settle in the heat.
5. Use of arm coolers and Zoot hat on the run, keeping each wet and iced.
6. Holding ice in both hands whenever possible.
7. Pack additional salt tabs.
I had a plan and I was going to stick to it. The coaching and nutrition staff prepared my fueling and race pacing plans to address the extreme conditions. Everything was now in place to handle the conditions and I felt very comfortable.
My nutrition was very regimented leading to the race. I followed the multi day carbo-load and sodium/ electrolyte pre-loading protocols. I was off the caffeine which I finally tolerated in the final week, however struggled mightily prior. I was passing out a few times at my desk the week prior, in the middle of the work day.
Bike check in, the day before the race
The Race Morning
The story of this race goes to tireless volunteers. This town has been so welcoming to athletes and their volunteering effort was amazing. I had genuine concern for very young kids and heat that was about clamp down and soak us all. Huge smiles everywhere.
My pre-race breakfast was down quick:
1. Orgain Whey Protein shake 240cal
2. Banana 100cal
3. 4 apple sauces 200cal
4. 1 bottle of OSMO Preload, 100cal/ 4000mg sodium
On the way to race venue
The special needs bags were dropped off. The adjustment was made to run special needs. It contained a pair of running shoes, socks and duct tape in addition to extra salt tabs and gels. If my feet got very wet from water spray and blisters were an issue, duct tape was to be used on top of blisters, followed by dry socks and shoes.
T1/2 set up was routine. I took in another Powerbar 75min before, chased with water, 240cal. Wetsuit came on at 0520, gel with water shortly after. At 0530 Sladja and I hugged. She asked me to be smart. I high fived with Kin and off I went to line up in sub 60min swim group.
Precious moment with my love
The Swim
Just before the sunrise
Lined up, the gun went off. Went out pretty hard, I knew I could and would get away with it. Got clean water and buoy line and went for it. Few contacts here and there as some folks miss-seeded.
Mostly on my own, paced well, surged and jumped a few times from feet to feet. Found that hip area is a nice place to be, draft is live and well also. Navigation was ok, not perfect. I am going to give a secret out about open water swimming. The more often you sight, that many times you drop your hips, you slow down, you strain your back......instead, learning to swim symmetrically pays off. And as Coach Bob of CDA Crocs puts it, sighting every 30-40 strokes is key, not 8-10 as advertised by many. I clearly subscribe to Coach's Bob approach. Gives me uninterrupted segments of great rhythm and relaxation, decently high stroke rate.
Half way peek at the watch showed 28:30, bit fast, however I felt great. When you feel great, exercise restraint, so I did. I pulled it back a bit and cruised the rest of the swim. Very routine finish and exit out, kicked hard last 300 or so to wake the legs up.
58:28 (3min PR on the course), 15th AG, 79 OA
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/820101765/1
About to run on IMCDA course on the way home
Here is my 3x Boston Qualifier, no easy footsteps to follow
T1
This was another not rushed, deliberate, calculated transition. Went for the bike bag, changing tent and to the bike. Bike out and mount were very decent.
3:24
Bike
I executed entirely per plan with all targets observed in a way that allowed adjustments for rising heat. HR was key on the day. I got ahead on the fluids and my first bottle was empty by mi 15. Power was on target and HR was settling down. I had to restrain myself and keep the power in 220W range. It was going to allow for a very gradual rise in body core temp. Reaching into my rear cage for the second bottle I came up empty handed. It fell out somewhere, back. This was going to prove to be likely the defining moment of this race. The decision was simple, press on. Two adjustments:
1. I can no longer place anything into the rear cage, so I decided to use the front of my suit in chest area to store the 3rd bottle.
2. I had to revert to on course nutrition, simple sugar based Gatorade Endurance. That was a game changer. Lots and lots of simple sugar usually create bloating. I did not train with it. Oh well.....
I also had to make up now the calorie and sodium deficit until next aid station. Did my math, took sodium in and kept focusing on the next 10min window.
Enjoying the CDA Lake Shore Drive and pass by my cheering crowd
I really managed to only focus on task and through additional aid stations slow downs made sure I take in all the fueling needed. I had additional salt tabs in my bento box that were needed to bridge the gap between 1500mg/hr that I needed and 600mg/hr that Gatorade offered.
I kept legal distance from bikes ahead, I refrained from accelerating to pass in the first loop and played smart following the power guidelines. I do flatten the course, meaning, I do not allow much pf power variation between flat/climb/ descent, keeping things pretty even. It is riding with low VI.
At approximately 60mi, I stopped for special needs and long awaited own nutrition, mix of CarboPro and OSMO, more gels......
Second loop rewarded my patience. While I was simply adhering to my power/ HR and fueling, I was catching up and dropping 5-6 female PRO athletes, I was riding through some front of the pack AGers including at mile 80 what will be eventual M40-44 winner from Team Timex. I had no clue as age numbers were not visible and I did not give it too much.
I kept my emotions very even and thought only about current moment and what I controlled. In the second loop, my complete rear cage broke off and fell behind. I was not allowed to have a flat now. :)
At 20mi to go I checked my math. It was showing a very fast 5:17 bike split. Final descent got me to no pass zone behind a few slower athletes and I knew the work was over. It was time to relax and prepare for the marathon. It is at that time that I noticed first signs of bloating and gas building in my stomach. I was in self assess mode and debating whether the porta-potty stop is needed. I knew I would be risking it.
Fluid/ calories/ sodium per hour: 48oz/ 420cal/ 1500mg
Peed 4 times. That showed proper level of hydration. Oh, I do those on the go, no stopping. :)
5:18:33 7th AG, 63rd OA (12min PR)
IF and TSS will be incorrect below as I never changed my FTP setting in GC, it came out to be based on FTP 303W, IF of .73 and TSS 280.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/820101765/3
T2
I dismounted and handed the bike to a wonderful volunteer, ran for the run bag and porta-potty. There was not a chance to start the run with stomach like that. This really snuck up on me. I did not notice the developing condition and that purely falls on me. Obviously my stomach was not prepared to take such extreme amounts of Gatorade and fluids.
Collected all of my gear, belt...shoes and out on the run.
4:32
The Run
I was settling in and holding back, feeling very strong. The discomfort in the stomach was noticable but manageable. I reflected back on the view in T2 and knew there was something special in the making. There were very few bikes there. I was also accompanied by 2-3 female PROs now running almost shoulder to shoulder. That was unusual. They are far better runners but they were suffering in heat. It was very visible. We all followed the same regimen through the aid stations, water/ice, gatorade.....walking through, making sure we are covering all the basis to keep cool.
First 5mi went well with controlling the pace and keeping easy enough allowing stomach to function.
I was getting stomach cramps and bloating was also visible too, big bulge at the bottom was putting pressure. I knew I had to fuel and keep taking food, however I was taking additional salt tabs and getting relief from that, to only turn around to add Cliff Blocks.....I did talk myself out of being hot and was almost surprised how athletes looked around me. Pretty beat up I thought. Was it hot? I was not noticing it, I only worried about my stomach and keeping pace.
We started the hilly section and the girls have dropped me now. No worries there, HR strap decides to quit. I moved to running by feel and pace.
At the top of 6% hill, there was my trusty crowd, screaming, cheering and showing some great posters. Sladja, Kristi, Kin and all the kids were screaming at the top of the lungs. Goran Lozo would get a kick out of this one, the poster had a big "Suck it up Nancy"!!! Nina was cheering with that slogan so much that I was told a lady nearby approached them and asked them if my name was really Nancy.
"Nancy" sucking it up for sure here
No, it was not hot, I kept telling myself, it is only 105F in the shade. Whatever
you choose to believe on the day, the brain is amazing when it works with body
Miles 5-8 were hilly and got through ok. I could only run as fast as the stomach would let me. I was keeping focus on fueling schedule.
Each aid station, ice in the hat, water on arm coolers, ice in hands. I was controlling body core temp.
The pace was fluctuating, when stomach let me I pushed, when it cramped I backed off. Mile 12-13 brought a very severe side stitch. It brought tears. I jabbed myself with two fingers and was breathing to match the steps, I had to walk for a moment or two, the pain was brutal. There was no stopping, I moved forward. I did skip the special needs bag in that agony. That was a mistake.
Mile 17, I was off the pace and in so much stomach distress that I rushed for porta-potty once again.
It is at that time where I likely lost most of my placing and rolled back in AG standings. Prior to that I was passed by very few athletes and mostly younger crowd.
I came out, felt no relief. I was battling now a full blown diarrhea. I was not backing down. My legs were not tired as it was my stomach dictating the pace. By that time, the mistake of no run special needs was two fold, I was running out of sodium and my feet were soaking wet from using sponges and houses on course, my toes have been hitting the front of my shoes causing pain in the toe nails.
Hamstrings were on the verge of cramping. I was running very gingerly trying to avoid any movement that would cause the cramps. Came off the hilly sections where my crowd carried me again. Final 3mi were tough. I was not noticing heat anymore. Somehow, those last winding miles through the town are always a blur. I came on top of Sherman, I was clearly hearing Mike Riley, look down at the watch, it was a PR handily. I was controlling emotions at this point, after all I battled for the last 4 hours just to stay in this, I earned it today I thought. Nina was awaiting there, on top of the finishing stretch, she ran the sidewalk and screamed, brought a huge smile on my face, that girl!!!!! Crossed the finish line and was glad it was over. A soon as I stopped so did jostling in the stomach end, even though bloated I was walking around ok, watching not to make a step that would trigger the cramp. Shortly after big hug from Kristi, than Sladja, Nina and everybody else, what a joy.
Running down Sherman, bringing it home, what a joy
4:02:38 13th AG, 77 OA (added 8min compared to 2014)
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/820101765/5
Finish Time : 10:27:35 13th AG, 77 OA (6min PR)
I am very happy and will carry this race in my heart for a very long time. Persevering through this race was special in every way. No race is ever perfect and each has a defining moment. In order to be Kona material, I need to grow more and dial in nutrition closer. It takes time to mature enough to cover all the basis. It is not only physical fitness, but mental capacity to endure and manage the process. Nutrition is a key element of one's ability to race Ironman. I got the long needed break-through, I have the drive to continue, I am certain that I will return stronger and smarter.
Deepest thank you to my wife and kids for allowing me to pursue the dream. I am grateful to all my friends that have been so understanding and extended help.
Huge thanks to Coach Vinny and Coach Spinney of QT2 Systems for tireless work in supporting the plan. In 9 years in the sport along with another 4 years of coaching swimming, I have rarely witnessed such eloquent and sound advice. More importantly, caring about athletes shined through. Well done.
Shout out goes to Brandon for cheering so hard on FB, that I could almost hear it. Cannells, DunLevys and Albirellis.......my buddy V2 from Toronto, all followed. Finally, my crowd from work, my dear friends Jeff and Chris......It was very humbling.
I would like to end this with a message to my son, never never give up. The hard work always comes through, just on it's own timetable, not always on the timetable you want. Be patient, you will claim your breakthrough! Love.



















No comments:
Post a Comment